Saturday, June 14, 2008

In Which I am a Dunce

WWKIP pics coming tomorrow - the whole ONE pic I managed to remember to take. But the short version here is that a great time was had by all.

Several months ago, I was given four skeins of Knit Picks Andean Treasure yarn. Mohair makes me itch, so I didn't have much hope for the alpaca. Boy, was I wrong. Now I've never worn the yarn. But the Patent Pending technique of snuggling the yarn under your chin/on your neck was successful! So I commenced finding out what I can make with four skeins of Andean Treasure. And lo, the goodness of Ravelry told me that four skeins would be more than enough to knit the Flower Basket shawl.

So what did I cast on earlier this week??? Flower Basket? Why, no, why do you ask? Did you maybe think that I had a working brain cell that would take advantage of the useful information that magically appeared? Nope. I cast on a Swallowtail shawl. It works up so very fast and the yarn is a treat to work with. But according to the information that Evelyn Clark put on her webpage, four skeins will not be enough. But in fact, I will need six. In my totally intelligent manner, I have continued knitting. Two more skeins have not magically appeared at my home. Or in my car. Or in the knitting bag. So I really think I need to call Knit Picks and see if I can get two more balls in the same dye lot. Or I'm screwed.

Or maybe not. Cause here's the thing....in the swallowtail shawl, you knit 14 repeats of the body of the shawl. I have just finished the eighth section and still have a few yards left in the first skein. This is a triangular shawl with each row growing successfully longer. But will it really take me 1 skein to knit the beginning and the first 8 sections and 3 more to knit 6 sections, the border sections, and the bindoff?

I'm already planning my next Swallowtail shawl. Four ply/sock weight yarn with beads.

I'll have to edit this post tomorrow to add the pictures. Can't seem to find them on the computer, and I'm sure not trying to take decent pictures now!

No comments: