Friday, July 11, 2008

Welcome to Denver

Neither Bob nor I have ever been to Denver. So we were looking forward to doing a show there on our way to Long Beach. We arrived on time, lucked into an end cap, set up went fine, and the first night's sales weren't too bad. The show closed at 9 pm Thur, we left the show, got dinner and fell into bed exhausted. Got up this morning to find out our van had been broken into.

If I was the Yarn Harlot, I would be able to write an eloquent, heart felt post that had everyone sighing and then maybe even chuckling along with me. But all I can write is how devasted I feel.

Since we weren't quite as prepared as we wanted to be, we brought some tools and supplies to make more product at my dad's house before going on down to Long Beach. Most of the tools were in the trailer (luckily at another parking lot), but several were in the van and of course stolen. Some misc small stuff - my mp3 player, things like that. I used to own two Tutto wheeled totes. They stole my large orange tote with my new Janome 6600 sewing machine - and all the accessories you travel with so that you can sew. Two skirts already cut out just waiting to be sewn. All my sewing stuff - gingher and fiskars scissors, rotary cutters and fun scissor fobs. The other tote had knitting. Three month's worth of Rockin' Sock Club shipments - three month's worth of socks that rock yarn and the patterns - two skeins of Lorna's Laces shephard sock. A redwork quilt pattern and several pincushion kits to sell in my booth.

Luckily for me, my swallowtail shawl was in another bag. And they weren't interested in the zipper bag with at least half of the addi turbo needles that I own and all the knitting accessories we travel with. And the sock yarn scraps and the beginning of my mitered square blanket were left behind.

I am heart broken. Devasted. I keep telling myself that it could have been worse. And on an intellectual level, I know it could have been worse. We were not physically harmed. The van wasn't damaged. The tires weren't slashed, and they even relocked the doors after they took everything they wanted. But knowing this does not help my knitting any. I'm not in a big hurry to come back to Denver any time soon.

1 comment:

Alwen said...

Ouch. That just sucks. I can't think of anything upbeat to say, so my sympathies.