Saturday, March 28, 2009

Crochet!

I was about 12 when my great aunt (my paternal grandmother's sister) taught me to crochet. Using a small metal hook and thread I attempted to make pot holders. It was that last blasted stitch in the row that was my downfall. I'd miss it. Which of course meant that I was making an ever decreasing potholder. My aunt taught me that ripping out mistakes is always the right thing to do. Now, there are occasionally mistakes in my knitting that I'll happily let live in peace. But ripping something out doesn't usually bother me at all. Heck, I ripped out the same sock (totally finished once, past the heel a second time) at least three times before I was happy.

But I haven't been crocheting much lately. It's been the knitting that travels around with me. Which is partly why I'm so happy to be part of the Pot Holder swap! The swap reached their limit on co-authors of the blog and I can't post there. But that sure doesn't stop me from reading.

Thanks to a post on the pot holder blog, I was introduced to Attic24. I love her attitude and cheerfulness. The colors she uses are absolutely wonderful and I really enjoyed her post on 3/25. I can so completely relate to the need to balance everything in my life. Mine is very off-balance right now. It feels like I'm just working, working, working. Which (un/fortunately) is fairly accurate. But anyway....be sure to check out her flowers too. Both the horticultural kind and the crocheted ones.

1 comment:

SissySees said...

Hmmmm... I've not yet attempted to crochet with anything smaller than fingering weight... Is it hard?