Monday, January 21, 2008

21. Dishcloth swap topic

I've never been one of the "cool kids." Wasn't in high school even when I was a majorette. Guess I just don't have the "cool" gene. But sometimes - no I think most of the time - that has its advantages. For one thing, nobody expects me to be a certain way. I can be myself (even at a young age when that is so terribly hard) and not have to worry about disappointing someone. Today though, not being one of the cool kids is directly related to blogging.

If it wasn't for my current swaps, no one would pop in here to see if I'd gotten my camera back yet. Now, that's not a complaint. I'm a very new blogger and some people have been doing this for quite awhile and have a dedicated readership. Mason-Dixon Knitting or Yarn Harlot anyone? Well, one of my must-reads every morning is Now Norma Knits. I really enjoy reading her blog. I may not always agree with her, but isn't that what makes life fun and interesting?

Occasionally in the blog world, I start reading posts about very negative/hateful/hurtful comments people are leaving on a blog. There are plenty of blogs out there I don't read because I am not interested. But since I'm not in the "in crowd," I don't have that problem here. And when the topic comes up, I'm usually clueless about who is being referenced. Thank goodness.

Defeat the Winter Doldrums Topic #1

Dishrag. Dishcloth. Face cloth. I've seen folks get all fired up in forums when someone refers to their knit or crochet creation as a dishrag, as that's somehow offensive to them! When you're working on yours, what do you call them? Also, is there a difference between a dishrag and a dishcloth? How bout a facecloth? Are they all really the same thing?

I sorta like a designated weekly topic. The whole point being to let other swappers get to know each other. Probably comes in real handy for people finding things to blog about. Also comes in handy when one is trying to Blog 365 and is camera-less - Just sayin'.

When someone asks what I'm knitting, I'll usually respond "dish cloth." But I think I do refer to them at home as a dish rag. And yes, to me a facecloth is the same as a dishcloth. Just used in a different room. And one cannot go to the facecloth side if used first on dishes.

For several years now, I've been trying to knit the facecloths in the Knitters Stash book (at least I think that's the name, and I'm not getting up to check). I have yet to get anywhere close to gauge using the linen yarn. I purchased some and was gifted some, and absolutely no luck. I did try making one with some dk cotton (Rowan maybe?) and it is great! I use it in my shower constantly. I just recently bought a skein of Patons Grace. It's a mercerized cotton that looks to be about the same weight as the Rowan cotton. I'm looking forward to making a new washcloth from the Patons. And putting it straight into my shower!

No comments: