Sunday, January 6, 2008

No More Humdrum Mittens Questionnaire

Well, I wasn't going to post the questionnaire for the No More Humdrum Mittens swap today. Thought that would be a bit boring. But the swap organizers are trying to do their job, so I need to do mine! Without further ado.....

How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
I learned when I was about 13. Knit for a few years, and then didn't for quite awhile. I'm rather self-taught. A girlfriend showed me the very beginnings and I took it from there. Mind you, she learned from watching her grandmother, and I already knew how to crochet. So I became a continental knitter by default!

Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Rather intermediate. There are too many skills that I have not at least tried.

What are your favorite colors? Any you dislike?
I like rich colors - blues, greens, purple, red. Not too fond of pink, but if used in moderation as an accent, that's fine.

Do you like Latvian type patterns? If so, what are your favorite patterns?
Oh, yes, but I don't have a favorite.

Do you desire mittens for yourself, your "special someone else" or your child?
Definately for myself.

What is the measurement from your wrist to the tip of your longest finger?
Hold on - let me get the tape measure....7 3/8"

What is the circumference of your hand at it's widest point?
7" around the knuckles, 8 1/4" including my thumb

What other things do you enjoy knitting?
Socks, dish/face cloths, sweaters


What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
All of my needles are either wooden dpn's or metal circs. All of my circs are Addi Turbos because I love the cable. I haven't had a chance to try the new needles that have come out in the last few years.

What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
Standed color work. I'm expecting this swap to change that!

What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
Ohhh - there's lots! Any of the indie dyers either on the internet or etsy. Pick a luxury yarn, and I haven't used it yet. I am just seeing the end of a very nasty divorce. And my budget was so horribly tight.

What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Cook?
I quilt, crochet, and sew. I am just starting back to some cross stitch. Used to garden, but haven't had the opportunity the last few years. And I don't cook in the hobby aspect. But I do really enjoy baking. And this might be the year I learn to spin.

Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
Thimbles. They can be very fun - and don't take up much space.

What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty?
Unfortunately, I like most of them. I love cookies, dark chocolate, english toffee, almost all nuts, dried fruit, licorice! See, the list is endless.

Anything you hate or are allergic to?
In the spirit of Cynthia in the Mitford stories - I hate mean people and overripe fruit. Oh - that wasn't what you meant? Well, I don't like brazil nuts or sourkraut. And I'm allergic to insect bites - which really doesn't matter here!

Do you have any kids? Pets?
I have two grown sons both living in CA and no pets.

What is your favorite part of Winter?
Listening to the birds. After a storm (or bad weather front) is over, the birds come out in full force and announce to the world that the weather is changing for the better. What a joyful sound.

What is your least favorite part of Winter?
The cold. I'm just not a cold weather person. Well, shoveling snow should be right up there on the top of the list too!

Ok - non-questionnaire post coming tomorrow. I even remembered to take a picture this morning while the sun was shining. Saving that for tomorrow too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet you neighbor.. I've always wanted to get into quilting! :-)