Monday, March 3, 2008

55. The State of the Sock

I can't remember the last time I didn't have a sock on the needles. They're portable. Usually the pattern is easily memorized - lending to the portability, obviously. I knit one Monkey sock and never did get the pattern down. The entire sock, I walked around with the pattern. It became annoying - more with myself than the pattern. But I wasn't upset to only knit one.

Even when I had absolutely no money for yarn, I always managed to have at least a current skein of sock yarn. I have several pairs of socks knit from leftover yarns. I've been able to get a pair of socks out of left overs from two pairs - which makes for some interesting socks but is pretty cool.

Until now. At one time, I frogged an entire sock. Reknit the darned thing three times before it fit right. And didn't really mind. And now? No sock. I found out that my sock drawer is deficient in red socks. So I bought some red sock yarn. I even have enough red sock yarn for three pairs of sock - I sorta got carried away I guess.

And I had a sock. It used to look like this:

I really like this pattern. My Sockapalooza 3 (I think) pal sent me a pair of socks knit in this pattern. I liked them so much, I bought the pattern and one of my scrap yarn pairs of socks is knit in this pattern. That's most of a foot. It now looks like this:

I have no idea what pattern the yarn is going to become. But I have those two socks books that I haven't ever knit a sock from yet, so the options are wide open! Any suggestions?



No comments: