Saturday, March 15, 2008

70. Now with recipes!

I've decided to start adding a few recipes. Now, nothing earth shattering. Or even original. But tried and true recipes that I use again and again - and don't want to lose. This cookie recipe is very good. Not my most requested cookie recipe, but I'll save that for another day. The recipe originally came from a woman's magazine several years ago, but I lost that copy. So I did an allrecipes.com search. Since I usually double the recipe when I make it, I did so here with the ingredients. These also make wonderful thumb print cookies!

No Roll Sugar Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 eggs
4.5 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Optional: sprinkles of choice

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets (I use my baking stone).
2. Cream butter, margarine, and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar together. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and blend.
4. Shape dough into walnut-sized balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Dip a glass in white sugar and press balls flat. (I slightly flatten in my hand and press the tops into sprinkles - or make thumbprint for jam.) Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on racks.

No comments: